When I was 11 years old, my older sister (14) began dating a thick hairy guy named Ed who was the star speed-skater on my team. He was 17, but my parents did not know that right away (or daddy would have been livid). Ed had a falling out with his own father, and I ended up sharing my bedroom with him for a few months.
Although he and my sister did not last, he had already begun working for my dad as his right-hand man. He got his own place, and I was always welcome to stop by with my friends for party time (beer & weed). Whenever my car would break down, I would call him and he would fix it. Whenever I had anything I needed to talk about, he was always there to listen.
When my youngest sister was 3, she tried to address her own birthday card to him. It was supposed to say "Eddy", but it came through her tiny fingers as, "Eggy". From that day forth we all called him Eggy.
In my third semester of college, I split a house with him for 2 years. It was a neat house because the developer built it for his own family to live in as they built more houses around it. It had a lavatory in every bedroom, a huge sun-room where plants grew like crazy, and one of the largest kitchens I had ever seen. When the developer moved, it became a HUD-home, so Eggy got it for a steal.
We have remained close, and he comes by to visit every other Monday when he is up to it. He has had heart trouble for more than a decade. His bills from various surgeries have left him bankrupt. His only living relative, a sister in Texas, and he do not speak.
I found out around 3 o' clock this afternoon, that the doctors think he will pass within the hour. I could not leave work early because I am the only staff member. I felt awful, and it was hard to concentrate on "happy" selling and emailing and preparing for a big event next week. Made a looong afternoon.
At 5:30 I closed the shop and drove to the Heart Hospital. The last time I was there, my father slipped away. Just seeing my mama and sister there was enough to wet my eyes. As I said hello to all gathered, I was asked to come into the room with the doctor...and Eggy. We stood on either side of the bed and he spoke about what a good fight Ed had put up. Then he told me that Ed was basically already gone. I looked at the vitals registered and try to understand what he was saying to me.
Then, just like that, *click* he turned the machine off.
Don't get me wrong, I'm proud that he hung on until I could be there...I'm proud I got to be at his side...but I think somebody should have warned me what I was being called in there for.
The rest of my family (mine was his) were brought in to say goodbye. I hugged them each and stayed behind to tell him one last time what a great "big brother" he was to me. He worked for my dad for 25 years, and shared holiday meals and birthdays with us. Thankful am I, that we have the photos and videos of the happiest healthiest time of his life!
*R I P Eggy*